Saturday, November 28, 2020

All Day, Everyday and What I'm Learning

Watercolor, November 2020
"The Apron"

 

Unexpected grace
scooped and scattered out by hand
all day, everyday




Tomorrow marks the beginning of Advent, the beginning of the Christian year. So, before a new beginning, I'd like to note what I am learning from my blog project.
  • Imperfection is part of the creative process - and if I wait to take the perfect photo or write the perfect words, it will never happen. So I begin each post, knowing and accepting that it will be imperfect. Instead of perfect it will be genuine - a true reflection of where I find myself on that day. 
  • This project is a spiritual practice - both daily - and a discipline. A commitment I have made to be present each day whether I feel inspired or not. I started with the trust that God will reveal God's self in some way every day - something in the world will reflect something of who God is. It's my job to notice and engage. 
  • This project is the fruit of time with God. I may write a few lines and God and I have an exchange. Often I hear - "Is this true?" "Is this how it really is?" "Is this at the heart of your experience?" I will write until it seems the words have clicked into place. 
  • This project has helped me write again. Most days I'm crafting a Haiku, which has been a way in. Short, structured and not intimidating - and fun. Sometimes I wake myself up at night counting syllables on my fingers. My son has caught me in the kitchen counting out words. Phrases get scribbled on receipts and junk mail until I can sit down again. 
  • This project has helped me practice visio divina and eco divina with my photographs. The photographs about more than taking pretty pictures - it's about learning to see something of God revealed and reflected in the image. 
  • Starting the day by sitting quietly in the study allows me to have a soft, open mind before other thoughts and obligations break in. It secures me before the day continues. As the day goes on, I have an attitude of expectation - trying to notice where God directs my attention to shape, color, nature, beauty, light. 
  • I am learning to use my own words. I have a great love for writers who gift us with powerful, true, and beautiful words. Many of the things I write have already been expressed better by other writers. I often think of a passage or poem or bible verse in the morning- and someday may include those, but for now, I want to find my own words. 
  • Creating an entry each day has helped me rediscover joy and delight. If you have ever lost those two things - then you know what great treasures they are. 
  • I am grateful to Steve-Garnass Holmes of Unfolding Light, whose work inspired me to make this a daily practice. I am grateful to Diane Walker of Contemplative Photography who inspired me to work with my photos in a contemplative way. I am grateful to Jerry Webber of Only a Sojourner, for suggesting the practice of Haiku on a Lenten Retreat in 2020.