Monday, November 30, 2020

Stillness

 

Still Life from Cozumel, December 2020



Waiting for angels
allowing hope to nestle
in sacred stillness




*As I worked with the Haiku, it doesn't seem that the nature of hope is to nestle. My experience of hope is that it springs up, - in motion. But in undisturbed stillness - I wonder if hope can nestle in, becoming part of us - the way a growing baby nestles inside his/her mother. 

**The figurine is a a souvenir from a trip to Cozumel about 1996 - many years before I learned silent or Centering prayer, but something about her called out to me. When I saw her in the outdoor market, my thought was, "This is what prayer should feel like. I want it to be like that for me." And some years later, prayer does feel like that in moments, not all the time, but enough. The white flowers she is holding are calla lilies, symbols of purity and devoted faith.