Saturday, July 17, 2021

Up, up and away

Baby Birds, July 2021
Bryan, Texas



Help me remember
what it was to be fragile,
so fresh in the world




*Special thanks to my daughter for spotting and taking photos of these baby birds while she was out & about today. I was thrilled to see them!

** I have been thinking about my use of "was" instead of "is" in the second line. In an earlier draft, I wanted to remember what it "is" to be fragile, but then when I looked longer at the baby birds, I realized, I'll never be as fragile as a newborn again. Never that dependent or vulnerable. I won't be "fresh" in the world again - not in way of the baby birds. As often happens, I feel a divine push against my certainty. If I live long enough, I will become fragile, dependent and vulnerable again - but as an old, old person. I won't be fresh in this world, but I will be fresh in the next.