Sunday, January 16, 2022

Beginnings

Earliest Work in Pottery, January 2021
circa late 1970's

 Humble beginnings...early efforts, we all have them. Revisiting our beginnings reminds us of where we once were and who we once were. Even though we may have become accomplished or mastered a skill, it's good to remember how it was when we first started. It's good to recognize progress, whatever shape it takes. 

When I look at my early attempts in pottery, I remember myself as a little girl who sat on the stool pulled up to the work table - excited and focused. I recall working with my small hands to soften the clay, and see what it might become before class was over. I remember trying to choose the prettiest glaze and hoping my creation didn't crack in the kiln. I wanted to make "real art" like my teacher - and I wanted to make something all my own. 

Learning to make simple pottery pieces was one of many beginnings - and remembering just one, has released a stream of others. I've made humble beginnings of many kinds and so have you - let's give thanks for early efforts and for those who helped us to make them.