Saturday, March 5, 2022

Faces in the Crowd, Day 3

Icon of Christ and Abba Menas, Egypt (8th Century)
 

 

This post is part of an on-going Lenten series that began Ash Wednesday

"Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side,
while he dismissed the crowds.

And after had had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. 
When evening came, he was there alone," (Matthew 14:22-23)

+

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." (Matthew 9:36)


I started Lent with the intention of staying with the Matthew 14 passage and exploring different faces of the "inner crowd." And believe me, I'm pretty sure I can identify 40 faces in that crowd. Faces and voices that exist within that I would like for Jesus to dismiss and send away.  

Except, I get the feeling that Jesus is not going to do that. Turning just a few pages in Matthew's gospel takes me back to the 9th chapter when Jesus looks with compassion on the crowd. Where I would like to draw lines of separation, Jesus works to bring wholeness. 

This icon has been a companion for many years. I am always struck by the way Jesus's arm seems to extend all the way around Abba Mena's shoulders, embracing him in friendship. I imagine Jesus's arm embracing me, and all of us, in compassionate friendship. 

Today's vista and prayer:
  • In what ways have you experienced the compassion of Jesus in recent days? 
  • How does the icon speak to you?
  • We pray: Jesus, long ago you dismissed the crowd to be alone with God. On another occasion you saw the crowd and were moved with compassion. Bring me into your presence so I might experience your compassion and extend it to myself and others. Amen.