Friday, March 4, 2022

Faces in the Crowd, Day 2

Thinking of You by Rachel Lee


This post is part of an on-going Lenten series that began Ash Wednesday


"Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side,
while he dismissed the crowds.

And after had had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. 
When evening came, he was there alone," (Matthew 14:22-23)

The face in the crowd that I see today is the one who believes, "It will always be this way." Another way of saying it might be, "My life is a tracing and re-tracing the same lines." When I attempt to enter silence and prayer, this is the face that seems to say, "Nothing new is going to happen as you pray." It's not true. Life continues to unfold. Circumstances are changing all the time. Over time, I am growing and becoming. I'm not the same as I was 5 years ago or even a year ago. In prayer and in life, God is always speaking, always making something new. 

As I gaze at Rachel Lee's Thinking of You, it has the appearance of being drawn with a single line. Could the shape of our souls be drawn with a single line? Yes and no. 

Today's vista and prayer:
  • In what ways do you experience the feeling of "It will always be this way? Do you have other ways of articulating that same thought? 
  • How does Rachel Lee's painting speak to you?
  • We pray: Jesus, long ago you dismissed the crowd to be alone with God. Dismiss the part of me that is invested in tracing and re-tracing the same lines. Bring me into your presence where you make all things new. Amen.