Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Faces in the Crowd, Day 5

Thoughts by Carolyn Gavin (2019)


This post is part of an on-going Lenten series that began Ash Wednesday

"Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side,
while he dismissed the crowds.


And after had had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. 
When evening came, he was there alone," (Matthew 14:22-23)

+

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." (Matthew 9:36)

The face I see in the crowd today is the part of me that gets lost in the thought. My mind gets occupied with ideas, memories, projects to consider, and finding solutions that I can miss life and the persons who are right in front of me. Sometimes I give so much attention to my thoughts that my heart gets quiet and fades into the background - waiting her turn. 

James Joyce wrote of one of his characters, "He lived at a little distance from his body." (Dubliners) Living in my head comes naturally, so spiritual practices that help me pay attention to my body - my breathing especially - help move my attention into the present moment and into my heart. 

Carolyn Gavin's painting shows me the vibrant possibilities of the world of ideas, but her eyes are closed and she cannot meet the viewers gaze or the world around her. 

Today's vista and prayer:
  • Does your active mind keep you living "in your head" at times? 
  • How does Gavin's painting speak to you?
  • We pray: Jesus, long ago you dismissed the crowd to be alone with God. On another occasion you saw the crowd and were moved with compassion. Help me recognize the part of me that depends and dwells too much on my own thoughts. Quiet my overactive mind so my heart may speak. Let my heart find safety and freedom in your presence. Amen.