Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Faces in the Crowd, Day 6

Woman Arranging Flowers by Federico Zandomeneghi
 

 This post is part of an on-going Lenten series that began Ash Wednesday

"Immediately he made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead to the other side,
while he dismissed the crowds.


And after had had dismissed the crowds, he went up the mountain by himself to pray. 
When evening came, he was there alone," (Matthew 14:22-23)

+

"When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd." (Matthew 9:36)

A familiar face in my "inner crowd" is the one who wants to carefully arrange and control situations and outcomes. I used to say, "I have an over-developed sense of responsibility," but that was just an excuse for over-functioning. The truth is that I can't be a loving person and a controlling person at the same time. Even when I think I know what's best or when I am confident of what "should" happen, I don't really know. It's impossible to calculate every factor and every outcome. 

The painting by Italian painter, Zacndomeneghi reflects the cool selecting and arranging that this aspect of me wants to engage in - making her arrangement - just so.

Today's vista and prayer:
  • In what situations and with whom do you find yourself wanting to be in control? 
  • How does the painting speak to you?
  • We pray: Jesus, long ago you dismissed the crowd to be alone with God. On another occasion you saw the crowd and were moved with compassion. As I trust that all of life, every person, every situation is in your hands, I can let go more and more.  Let me relax in your presence, knowing that you hold all things together. Amen.